Describe the ways in which your production work was informed by research into real media texts and how your ability to use such research for production developed over time.
I think that the real media texts in which I have used over both years of this course were chosen carefully as I chose what I thought would influence my productions and what would inspire me to create my coursework production in this certain way. In AS, I had to create a 2 minute opening sequence of a horror or film noir. When I began my A2 brief, I had to create a music promotion package that involved a music video, a digipak and an advert or poster. I will begin describing how my production work was informed by my research through real media texts in AS and then A2.
At AS during pre production, I decided to do an opening sequence to a horror film in which I researched before doing anything else. I looked at when horror had became a genre, from theatre (1896) to directors who specialise in this area, such as Jack Clayton and Steven Spielberg. Whilst looking at films for inspiration and further research, I looked at classical horrors such as Scream and Nightmare on Elm Street, as well as looking at more contemporary horror films such as 'The Orphan'. This film is what inspired me the most.
I planned my film by using mind maps to think of my storyline and then created a story board to help me visualise what would happen throughout. I then created a story time line as I would then know how long each shot would be and how long it would take.
At A2 during pre production however, I knew I had to create a music video and thought it would be best if I enjoyed the song in which I chose as I thought it would make the task more enjoyable to do. Since I had already created a storyboard and mind maps in AS, I felt much more confident in using these techniques to plan my work at A2. I researched a range of music videos, from Adele to Foster The People as, I wanted to show that I had looked at other genres before ultimately deciding which genre I would prefer to use in my coursework. I think that the main thing I developed from AS to A2 was planning my music video further in a story board fashion, making a new image for each shot. This helped me understand more clearly, what my original idea was and how I wanted to shoot the production. I also think I looked at more varied videos when it came to my research as I feel that the videos watched was doubled. This therefore gave me a better understanding of the task.
At Production at AS I used the standard equipment, including a tripod and a Sony camera. I did try and use the crane, however given the location and my experience with this type of equipment, I could not put it together correctly. We added shots such as over the shoulder shots, to make the audience feel present, close ups, to amplify the emotions shown and hand held shots to name a few. We mainly added these type of shots as we wanted to make the audience feel as if they were experiencing the horror with the main character and to show fluidity through the sequence. Whilst looking back to my research I found that these type of shots appeared to be the most popular in this genre.I feel that the mise-en-scene that i used during production worked well as we used props appropriately,(rope etc.) as well as using make up to show bruises.
When I was given the brief to create a music video, I thought back to the equipment I had used before and acknowledged that this was very limited. For this brief I decided to use a Canon 550D, a tripod and a crane. The Canon camera is known more frequently in the photography world, so knowing that this camera also had a video recorder within the camera, helped give my music video a more professional feel to it. When It came to effect with the camera, I used the crane to move the camera around the media studio. By going at a certain pace, this made the camera footage look fluent, making it much easier to edit with. For the narrative part of the video, I decided to ask the singer if he could sing half speed, so that when I sped it up to double speed his actions would look jerky and fit the image I was wanting to portray. The original video to Maximo Park, also had a slight edge to the video, so I worked from that to create my own original piece. The main thing I think that I developed, was setting up the crane correctly as I now know how much of a difference that would have made to my AS work. I also think that I was more creative with the camera effects, whereas in AS I seemed to just stick to the basics.
During post production in AS I learnt how to edit correctly as well as learnt how to add effects in Final Cut Pro, such as changing the colour of the video, IMovie, creating flashbacks in my opening sequence, and creating the text in Live Type. All of these areas I had just recently learnt and I think given this into consideration, the techniques where appropriate for this opening sequence of a horror film. The techniques really helped give the feel for what I was wanting to create and I therefore think that my opening sequence, fit the genre in which I had chosen. Whilst editing the sequence in Final Cut Pro, I added genetic conventions from modern day horror films, involving sounds such as, a child sounding eerily innocent. Other conventions I had added, included pleas, cries, deep panting and disturbing laughs. Overall I think that my AS opening sequence supported the brief although it could have been to a better standard given the quality etc.
At A2 I think that given the camera quality, the camera effects, as well as the edited effects, It was to a much greater standard and in my opinion looked very professional. The other parts of the brief, digi pak and advert, related to the music video by the mise-en-scene shown as they were in the same clothes throughout. The color of the clothes used also is shown throughout. I made the band band wear red and black as in my opinion these gave me connotations of stress, frustration and slight anger, which conveyed the lyrics within the song I had chose.I edited my video on Final Cut Pro and added effects such as film burns. I made the production as fluent as I could, involving the performance part of the video with the narrative. In this video it was very important to make sure that the person was in sync with the song that you asked them to perform as this would tear away from the professional look. As a whole, I think that my techniques have developed on Final Cut Pro and my editing skills have became more precise as I have gained confidence from my first year and now I know the basics, it easier to expand my knowledge of the subject. I have also shown clear indication that my research skills have improved as I research into more depth to make sure I have a good understanding in what I am asked to do. My planning I think has also developed greatly as now it is not only me that will be able to understand my thoughts and ideas on the videos I produced.
Make sure you add to this reponse before I mark it. It would be unfair to give you a low mark when you have clearly not finished.
ReplyDeleteSally
12/25
ReplyDeleteWhen you discuss texts which you had researched be more specific about what you specifically gained from these texts and how it helped your production and generate ideas. You did tend to stray from the question towards the end of your answer. It is fine to talk about techniques but you need to link this to conventions from real media texts. You must use specific examples of what you noticed about the texts which you researched and how these were then incorporated into your work.