Analyse one of your media productions in relation to representation.
I feel that the representation of my music A2 brief is very important as if it is not created to what I believe is accurate for my target audience then the full meaning of my production could be seen in a different way as to what I orignally wanted it to be. My A2 brief was to create a music promotion and on this particular subject area, I have decided to show links to theorists such as Hall, Baker and Perkins, as well as showing postmodernism through my music video. This was a small area to the brief and I feel that these theorists can easily relate to my work in this way.
Hall believes that media shows us things about society and that representations should be meaningful. My music production supports this in many ways as the theme is about pressures within society. This can be seen by the type of class in which the costumes withold (smart, formal wear). The lyrics of the song represent pressure in which the audience can relate to, giving the audience a sense of belonging. This reflects Hall's belief that representation should be meaningful as here it is towards the audience. Also the colour choice helps the audience feel that the band understands of how they are feeling as the main colours (red and black) show connotations of the emotion( i.e fustration, anger and pressure) portrayed by the band and the audience.
Baker believes that mediation is represented in 3 ways, selection, organisation and focusing. This echoes my work, as I represented mediation through the selection of shots in which I created jump shots in Fianl Cut Pro,through organisation by creating calenders on the computer for my blog and applying shots in the correct order, i.e the narrative pan shots were displayed gradually boiling and then splashes, rather than the other way round. I also finally represented mediation through focusing as I collected data from my audience research by creating questionnaires and adding there input to my work.
My work also supports Bakers belief of the 3 different views towards music videos. The 3 views in which he researched were, the reflective, intentional and constructionist's view. My production shows the reflective view as in the narrative in which the matchstick was present, when it gets set a light, it represents the pressures building up of someone, almost as if to irrupt. This view is also seen by the film burns I added through the use of Final Cut Pro. This was to share the same type of pressures, only this was the pressures gradually building up. I also showed an intentional view through my effect using Final Cut Pro. I made the lead singer sing at half speed and perform normally so when I sped him up, the lead singer looked fidgety. Here, the lead singer is representing pressures and how it can effect some people. This could be seen slightly as reflective also as the action in what is occuring represents a meaning of what it's like to be under pressure.
Some people think that it is easier to look at stereotypes when putting a music video together however, Perkins believes that ' some of the many ways that stereotypes are assumed to operate aren't true'. My music production challenges as well as supports this theory as the having the band perform their song in their production falls against a stereotypical indie rock band. The meat shots also challenge Perkins theory that stereotypes aren't true as these shots are known to be involved in an indie rock music video. However the costumes in which the band members are wearing, supports Perkins theory as they are wearing formal and smart wear, i.e ties, shorts etc, which isn't known to be a stereotypical costume for this type of band to wear.
I have finally chose to look at postmodernism as the distinction between reality becomes blurred and invisible. For example, whilst filming, the band and I were in a studio which had no windows in. Therefore we were in no specific location for the audience to locate. This also showed no sign of the weather either, leaving no signs if it was summer, autumn, spring or winter. The only lighting I used was artificial light. This is also a good example of postmodernism as the audience is unsure wether it was filmed at night or during the day. Throughout the video there also wasn't any watches or clocks in the distance, showing no significance of the time in which it was shot.
I conclude that the representation is very important when it comes to music productions as if the audience in which you are trying to target doesn't understand, then you are sending a message to people that you are unaware of and by doing this, I personally feel that the director would therefore seem to have lost control of their own work and the representations that comes with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment