Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Essay Question1(b) Audience

'Analyse one of your media productions in relation to audience'.

I think that McQuail's theory that an audience can be described as a 'temporary collective', is very important when creating media texts. I will give examples of this, through my A2 brief of creating a music video. I will analyse other theorists such as Hebdige, Clark et al and Hall.
Firstly however, my reasonings for agreeing with McQuail that audience can be described as a 'temporary collective', is due to the fact that, my target audience for my video could be described as this. For example, since the theme of the video is the pressures in how people may feel, this could target a wide audience as they may only want to listen to the song, whilst they feel what the song is representing. I have also acknowledged that once the target audience of male teenagers like the music,it is also not set in stone, that they will like this band for the rest of their life. This therefore may only target temporary male teenagers.
Hebdige mentions that the music video must relate back to sub culture. I have done this through the band performing with their instruments as this fits the sub genre of indie rock. By doing this, it is easier for the audience to identify with the music and what type of band they are and what they are representing. To make sure that the music video was still fresh, I added a slight narrative to the video which would challenge typical conventions however, give the audience a slight change, to grasp their interest of the music video.
I completely agree with Clark et al's belief as it is ' important to carry out audience research'. I have shown examples of this as I created questionnaires for people to complete about what they expect from this sub genre. Once I had filmed my production, I got feedback from some rough cuts in which was shown to the class. I also uploaded my video onto Youtube and got comments and feedback that way too. This shows that not only having a few people for audience feedback is good but the more the better as the stereotypical band and performance will be more accurate. As I have taken the audience's feedback into consideration whilst creating my video, I think that by doing this, it has helped me gain the correct audience for my sub genre (male teenagers specifically but can vary).
McQuail also describes uses and gratifications for the audience.I have analysed my video and have acknowledged that my music production  involves escapism for my audience, as it helps the audience, channel their energy into the thought beats used throughout and forget the pressures they are facing for a while. My video also involves personal identity as the audience understand the representations of the music video. For example the pan boiling, as the pressures are building up. The lyrics are also a big part of personal identity as the audience could feel that their pressures are building up, like the pan boiling, and also may feel that they have a connection with the band members as they are singing about something that is happening to them. This gives the audience the sense that someone knows how they are feeling
I feel that the type of audience in which my music video could target could either be a mass audience although, only temporary as this type of audience would be based on the emotion behind the lyrics, or an alternative audience, due to the accent of where they are from and the sub genre of their style of music. Hall, mentions that audiences can read music videos differently towards what the true meaning may inflect or can read the preferred meaning. After analysing my music production, I think that my video, has a more dominant reading from the audience, as by the use of colours shown throughout the video, (red and black) they can be connotated  for stress, frustration and pressure. As well as this, the reading can be seen correctly by the use of the double speed in the narrative, making the lead singer look fidgety and on edge. This shows what pressure can sometimes do to people and therefore gives the audience a further understanding of the video.
In conclusion I feel that the audience for any media text is the most important part of the planning as without an audience, they would be no consumers of what you are wanting to sell or make known. I am pleased in how well I have asked for audiences feedback as I feel that I have worked with the audience to put my music video correctly and precisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment